Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Taking food into my own hands

As we continue to embrace the growing organic foods in our markets and they become more and more available I have to wonder, how much better are they really? How can the FDA which brought us petroleum fertilizers made of the same stuff used in Nazi gas chambers be trusted to regulate and enforce the true meaning of organic? I might sound like a conspiracy theorist, but in reality, it's a trust thing. If you tell me you are going to take care of my lawn so I don't have to worry about it anymore and then dump salt on it killing everything on it, why the hell would I trust you to come and take care of my lawn again. Same goes for my body I guess.

So, I distrust food production in the US... what now?!! I have idealized pastoral notions of what it is to be a farmer and how great that would be but I am also smart enough to know that they are just that, idealized notions, not reality. I don't want to farm just to be able to eat dinner, but I don't want to buy meat and vegetables that have been tortured and disrespected, laced with petroleum and dissected only to be put back together into some odd, food like substance we call food. So, what the hell do I do?

Well ladies and gentlemen I am on a quest, to find sustainably grown produce, meats and grains and buy them from the source, aka, the FARM. I don't think I will ever be a hippy, I am not cool enough for that and I do believe some processing of certain foods is not bad for you in moderation (I like and respect tofu for instance). But I have spent my whole life eating crap because the FDA told me it was good for me and I am no healthier for it. So, I am starting the agonizing uphill battle to take food back into my own hands!!

Check bag regularly for I will be posting my findings, and maybe a few recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment